Friday 5 July 2024

A slightly new look for Chartist Ancestors

You may notice that the Chartist Ancestors website has had a bit of a makeover. To be honest, I hope it isn't too noticeable as I was quite happy with the look and feel of it as it was.

However, the theme (design template) I was using is now being flagged by Wordpress as having a 'known vulnerability', so to be on the safe side I have switched to a new one. 

All headings are now from the Baskerville family, a venerable typeface dating back to the 1750s, and widely used by printers in the mid-nineteenth century. I may be wrong, but I think the Northern Star used Baskerville, at least until its move from Leeds to London.

Body text is now in Arial. This is a much newer typeface, having first appeared in 1982. But it is well designed for online use. It's a very legible face, and comes out slightly darker and larger than the font I was previously using. 

There are a few things I would still like to adjust. The crossheads, always in H5, now appear too small. I think they should be bumped up to H3, and simultaneously dropped down from bold to roman. This,  however, is an entirely manual, page-by-page process so it may not happen immediately.

If you notice anything else, especially if it looks as though something has gone wrong in the transition, please let me know.

As ever, sunless you are looking for something specific, start here...

No comments: